Biking Home

Yesterday morning I had my husband drop me off at my work place with my bike so I could bike home.  I hoped to get out of the office before 5 but didn’t end up leaving until 5.30 pm. In the end this was a great time to leave because it was much lighter at this time of day than what it would have been if I had left on time. The down fall is that it would put me at home 6.30 pm + and it would give me little time to spend with Reilly, so I was determined to give it my all and see how fast I could get home without the legs caving on me.

Of all the times my odometer gadget decided not to activate so I couldn’t track my average speed but I had a watch with the time to help spur me on.  There are quite a few lights on the way home but only a couple of points where I have to turn right and merge into traffic.  I was biking for no more than 5 minutes when I hit the first merge point and I had to quickly decide whether it was best to stop and wait for the light to change or whether it was safe to merge with traffic based on the clearing in between cars.  I hesitated (not a good thing) and before I knew it I was in a stopped position with my feet still clipped in and yup I fell. I fell into the sidewalk as opposed to the lane beside me and the only thing I really bruised was my ego. A young guy was standing 6 feet away, waiting for the bus, and awkwardly asked if there was anything he could do for me. Of course embarrassed I said no I am good and quickly got up right and peddled off, hoping I didn’t provide amusement to too many people.

In the end I motored home trying to finish in one hour but to the numerous lights I missed my goal by 3 minutes.  Not shabby for 28k and all the hills and lights en route. It felt great to end the work day with a ride, however, I need to work on the tension that builds in my shoulders when I ride.  Unfortunately Reilly was already in bed but awake by the time I arrived, normally she goes to bed just after 7 but with it being the first week back to school and no rest periods, she is definitely tuckered at the end of the day.  I gave her lots of kisses and had to pull myself away knowing that it would be selfish to excite her further and disrupt her need to sleep. To another day!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s